From time to time, Hillsdale is in the news. Our partners often speak at conferences or other events, and our accomplishments are covered in the financial media.
The Reality of Investing - Presentation at the Mercer School of Pension Investment Management
Speaker: Chris Guthrie, President, CEO and Senior Portfolio Manager, Hillsdale Investment Management
Location: Hotel InterContinental, Toronto
Date: May 1, 2013
The Reality of Investing Today
Plus: Thoughts on How to Work With Good Managers
• The Reality of Investment Management Practices Today
• Recent History of Quant vs. Fundamental
• The Effect of a Changing Market
• How to Work with a Good Investment Manager
• The popular debate of quant vs. fundamental does not reflect the
• Quantitative methods are tools that all managers use today. They are
tools for improving learning, decision making and execution.
• When a method becomes a doctrine, it becomes dangerous. Both quant
and fundamental active managers are facing the “crowding” effect.
Both should learn from the past and understand the new market reality.
• All managers are facing a more complex and dynamic market.
Quantitative tools are important capabilities to have in this new normal.
• Investors should focus on working with good managers who are
innovative, research-oriented and motivated by learning and continuous
improvement. Interests should be aligned with performance-based fees.
For more information, download the attached presentation.