Individuals & Families
Our relationships span years and cross generations. They are built on trust, investment excellence and client service.
Customized Investment Counselling
Hillsdale is an independent Investment Manager. We provide customized investment counselling to help individuals and families meet their financial and retirement goals.
Since 1996, our clients have benefited from our independent approach, personal service, trusted relationships, and comprehensive financial planning. Many clients confidently refer friends and family to us – a clear measure of their trust in us and our investment strategies.
- Your own investment counsellor and in-house portfolio management team
- Actively managed investment solutions, with a 25 year track record
- Value and performance through global diversification
- Customized Retirement Planning Solutions (not available to residents of Quebec)
Facts at a Glance
* Past Performance is not a reliable indicator of future returns
After-fees annual returns as of September 30, 2021 for CA$2mn portfolio allocated as follows:
- 1996 to 2013: 50% Cdn Small Cap Equity strategy (1) + 50% US Small Cap Equity strategy (2)
- 2013 to Present: 60% Global Small Cap Equity strategy (3) + 20% Cdn Small Cap Equity strategy (1) + 20% Cdn Micro Cap Equity strategy (4)
(1) Strategy CA$ returns from February 1996 to April 2003. Canadian Small Cap Equity Fund CA$ returns from May 2003.
(2) Strategy U$ returns from February 1996 to October 2005. Hillsdale proprietary account U$ returns from February 1996 to January 1997 and September 2003 to October 2005. US Small Cap Equity Fund U$ returns from November 2005. U$ returns converted to CA$ at the end of each month.
(3) Hillsdale proprietary account U$ returns from December 2013 to November 2015. Global Small Cap Equity Fund U$ returns from December 2015. U$ returns converted to CA$ at the end of each month.
(4) Canadian Micro Cap Equity Fund CA$ returns from December 2013.
Hillsdale Puts You in Control of Your Investments
As a Hillsdale client, you have access to a dedicated Investment Counsellor and in-house Portfolio Managers – an entire team working diligently to deliver performance excellence in line with your goals and risk appetite.
By clearly establishing accountability and avoiding intermediaries, Hillsdale’s integrated approach puts you firmly in control of your investments.
Existing clients may access their portfolio statements at My Hillsdale.
True Diversification Within a Clearly Defined Risk Budget
As a Hillsdale client, you have access to a diversified mix of actively-managed Canadian, U.S. and international investment solutions and global currencies.
We focus on areas of the financial markets that are generally inaccessible to individual investors and that respond well to active management. For our clients, this means being able to take maximum advantage of market opportunities, while working within a clearly defined risk budget.
Retirement & Succession Planning *
As a Hillsdale client, you will receive a comprehensive financial plan, one that encompasses all stages of your life and provides for inter-generational wealth transfer.
Where applicable, we will design the plan in collaboration with your other advisors – accountants, lawyers, financial or estate planners. Hillsdale also has its own network of experts to help with your taxation, estate planning, wealth transfer and philanthropic initiatives.
*Not available to residents of Quebec
Whether you wish to support an established cause or explore a new area where you can have an impact, we can help you create the optimal philanthropy strategy. With intimate knowledge of your investment portfolio, we can integrate your financial plans with your philanthropic goals and timelines.
Over the years, we have also partnered with our clients to support and contribute to the causes that are meaningful to them. We aim to continue this journey. We believe that together, we make the world a better place!
Acting in Your Interests
Hillsdale follows CFA© Institute’s Code of Ethics and Standards of Professional Conduct.
As fiduciaries, we abide by the following duties of care:
- Loyalty, Prudence, and Care: Acting with reasonable care and exercising prudent judgment.
- Fair Dealing: Acting for clients’ benefit and placing clients’ interests before ours.
- Suitability: Making only those investment recommendations that are consistent with the stated objectives and constraints of your portfolio.
Portfolio Review and Communication
Your dedicated Investment Counsellor continuously monitors your portfolio for opportunities and communicates with you regularly. At a minimum, they will review your detailed portfolio and financial plan with you once a year.
In between meetings, you can easily access your portfolio, transactions, performance and asset mix reports electronically or in print, as you wish. You will also receive Headlines, Hillsdale’s Monthly Newsletter, as well as semi-annual Market Outlook reports.
You may read more about our research in our Research section.
Hillsdale Investment Management Inc. (“Hillsdale”) is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) as an investment advisor.
We provide customized discretionary investment advisory services to individuals and families, to help meet their financial and retirement goals. Our services are offered primarily through direct investment in Hillsdale’s proprietary pooled funds (the “Funds”) and through the discretionary management of separate managed accounts (“SMA”). Hillsdale Funds offer access to actively-managed Canadian, U.S. and international strategies. We do not typically provide advice on non-proprietary products.
Our investment advisory services are offered exclusively to ‘accredited investors’ with a minimum investment of USD $500,000. As a Hillsdale client, you are assigned to an investment adviser who creates and manages your investment portfolio in accordance with your agreed risk-return mandate and financial goals.
For further detail and information, please refer to
Hillsdale’s Customer Relationship Summary document
For more information about Investment Counselling and Family offices, please contact Amit Goel.
Phone: (416) 913-3944
Where luck is rampant,
we must think of skill in
terms of process, because
the results by themselves
do not provide clear feedback.