Posted: July 09, 2021
Hillsdale Investment Management Inc. is a fast-growing, Canadian employee-owned investment boutique managing over $4 billion in Canadian, U.S. and Global equities for institutional and private wealth investors. We offer a unique, stimulating and entrepreneurial work environment with an exceptional opportunity for professional development, learning and success. We have an opportunity for a Senior Developer on the Data Engineering Team.
- Design, develop and maintain our production applications, databases and custom ETL workflows to help our research and portfolio management team inform their investment decision making.
- Build and enhance our proprietary applications for investment research, portfolio management, and portfolio analytics by implementing database scripts, back-end application code, and occasionally front-end applications.
- Ensure that technical decisions are taken with an appropriate balance of time-to-market versus meeting longer-term organization needs.
- Ensure a smooth processing of production related jobs, providing occasional off-hours support.
- Motivated self-starter with a commitment to providing creative and robust software solutions.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience developing back-end applications, web applications, custom ETL processes and proprietary data solutions.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or a related discipline.
- Strong software development skills with OOP languages such as Python or Java.
- Expertise in SQL, relational database concepts, and SQL scripting (T-SQL, PL/SQL, PL/pgSQL, etc.)
- Working knowledge of Python’s data ecosystem: Pandas, Flask, Django, SqlAlchemy, Airflow, etc.
- Proficient in software architecture and data model design.
- Ability to work closely with Portfolio Managers and Traders, and to understand their language.
- Experience in manipulating time-series, cross-sectional, or panel datasets.
Assets (preferred but not required)
- Experience working with financial datasets and data vendors.
- Investment industry / portfolio engineering experience, CFA, FRM, CSC or related designation.
- Front-end development experience with HTML + CSS + JS Frameworks (Angular, React, etc.).
- Experience with NoSQL DBs (MongoDB, etc.) and Big Data implementations (Dask, Spark, etc.).
Qualified applicants are asked to forward their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to advance in the hiring process will be contacted. Hillsdale offers a flexible work environment, and this role would typically require working onsite at our beautiful office in downtown Toronto 3-5 days a week. Both full-time and contract arrangements will be considered for this role.
Hillsdale is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. We encourage applications from people of all abilities and will make reasonable accommodations upon request.