SENIOR DATA ENGINEER
Posted: November 15, 2022
Founded in 1996, Hillsdale Investment Management Inc. (Hillsdale) is an independent, employee-controlled, and client-aligned investment boutique managing investments on behalf of a select group of sophisticated institutional and private wealth investors. We engage in disciplined active investment management, specializing in equities, alternatives, ESG, and customized mandates. We are committed to producing the highest quality equity investment strategies. Hillsdale is recognized for both investment and service excellence – a reflection of our relentless pursuit of research and development and the dedication of our employees who invest alongside our clients.
Hillsdale has been recognized as a Great Place to Work for our industry and across Canada.
WHAT’S THE OPPORTUNITY?
We have an opportunity for a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Engineering team, where you will work closely with our Portfolio Management and Research teams to build databases, ETL processes and other big data related apps used to inform investment decision making and to manage Hillsdale’s Portfolios.
- Design, develop and maintain our proprietary data pipeline processes for investment research, portfolio management, and portfolio analytics by implementing database scripts, ETL workflows, SQL Stored Procs/Functions and reports.
- Manage the data onboarding, data ingestion, transformation and assessment of new datasets.
- Identify inefficiencies in the use of data in current business processes as candidates for data consolidation, centralization, and data scalability.
- Develop models, algorithms, or data integration solutions, and run live experiments to prototype ETLs and datasets from new vendors.
- Be a key contributor to developing and ensuring a smooth process of our production-related jobs, providing sporadic off-hours support.
WHAT WILL YOU BRING?
- A minimum of 5 years of experience developing database applications, ETL processes, SQL scripts and other proprietary data solutions.
- Degree(s) in Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or a related discipline.
- Strong programming skills with SQL (T-SQL, PL/SQL, PL/PgSQL or similar) and relational databases.
- Proficient in software architecture and data model design.
- Experience in analyzing, manipulating, transforming, and interpreting large and complex datasets, structured and unstructured data in a variety of formats such as CSV, XML, JSON, DataFrames, etc.
- Strong communication skills - experience in communicating with other technical teams and ability to work closely with Portfolio Managers and Traders.
- Motivation to self-start with a commitment to providing creative and robust software solutions.
Nice to Have (preferred but not required)
- Prior SQL Database Admin experience.
- Working experience with SQL Server or Azure SQL.
- Good understanding of security reference and market data.
- Investment industry/data engineering experience, CFA, FRM, CSC or related designation.
- Experience working with financial data: manipulating time-series, cross-sectional, or panel datasets.
- Working knowledge of Python’s ecosystem: Pandas, SqlAlchemy, etc.
- Prior exposure to NoSQL DBs (MongoDB, etc.) and Big Data frameworks (Dask, Spark, cuDF, etc.).
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Competitive salary, performance bonus and paid vacation time.
- Health Care Spending Account.
- Professional Development, ongoing mentorship by a senior team of tech & investment professionals and growth opportunities/defined career pathing.
- Staff VIP treatment with team building and monthly employee appreciation events.
- Gym membership and ergonomic workstations.
- Flexible work environment and commuting reimbursement when you do work from the office.
- Centrally located office at King and Bay, enjoy a kitchen stocked with food, catered lunch, and remarkable views of Toronto and Lake Ontario.
- Thriving in a high-performance, knowledge-driven culture!
Hillsdale is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. We encourage applications from people of all abilities and will make reasonable accommodations upon request.
Not sure if you qualify? Apply anyway! Our workforce comes from diverse backgrounds and industries. Please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only those selected for an interview and legally eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.