Director Finance and Portfolio Administration
Posted: September 20, 2021
Hillsdale Investment Management Inc. is a fast-growing, Canadian employee-owned investment boutique managing over $4 billion in Canadian, U.S. and Global equities for institutional and private wealth investors.
Hillsdale has an exciting, newly created opportunity for a Director, Finance and Portfolio Administration. We offer a unique and independent work environment with an exceptional opportunity for professional growth, learning and success.
The Director, Finance and Portfolio Administration, reports to the Senior Vice President, Finance and Compliance, and provides business, financial analysis and reporting support to Hillsdale and the Hillsdale Pooled Funds. The successful candidate will work independently to accomplish his/her own assigned workload and collaboratively with other finance members and/or with Hillsdale’s Portfolio Management, Information Management, and Trading teams.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage controls established to support the accurate calculation of the daily NAV process performed by the third- party investment fund administrator
- Perform complex accounting and fund income and commodity tax compliance and reporting for investment vehicles including mutual fund trusts, and may include domestic and foreign tax compliance and reporting in accordance with applicable regulatory guidelines, accounting, tax, and investment industry standards
- Manage the team towards successful execution of monthly and quarterly reporting requirements and implement new initiatives to leverage technology to automate key processes
- Act as a reference and oversee the strategic direction for 3rd party service providers related to financial processes, particularly with the investment fund administrator, external auditors, and tax advisors
- Development and maintenance of policies and procedures
- Assist in the review of the semi-annual financial statement and the annual audit process for the investment funds, including reporting to investors within regulatory deadlines
- Ensure compliance with IFRS and corporate accounting policies and internal controls
- Provide analysis in support of the Corporate interim reporting and annual audit process, including required regulatory reporting
- Improve efficiency and the group’s throughput by streamlining processes
Essential skills, qualifications and abilities include:
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (accounting, finance or economics) and a professional accounting designation (CPA, CA)
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in investment management/financial services role
- Strong capital markets knowledge with sound understanding of the investment management industry in Canada, including financial reporting for funds and securities legislation compliance requirements for investment funds
- Advanced computer skills, including expert proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office products
- Initiative to work independently; outstanding analytical, organizational and communication skills with strong attention to detail
- Propensity to openly share knowledge with team and provide mentorship
- Completion of the Canadian Securities Course considered an asset
Qualified applicants are asked to forward their resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected to advance in the hiring process will be contacted. Hillsdale offers a flexible work environment, and this full-time role would typically require working onsite at our beautiful office in downtown Toronto 3-5 days a week. Hillsdale is a diverse firm and an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. We encourage applications from people of all abilities and will make accommodations upon request.
For more information, please refer to www.hillsdaleinv.com.