Posted: November 04, 2021
Founded in 1996, Hillsdale Investment Management Inc. is a Canadian, employee-owned and client-aligned investment boutique, managing over $4 billion in Canadian, U.S. and Global Equities for institutional and private wealth investors. We engage in disciplined active investment management, specializing in equities, alternatives, ESG and customized mandates. We are committed to producing the highest quality equity investment strategies. Hillsdale is recognized for both investment and service excellence – a reflection of our relentless pursuit of research and development and the dedication of our partners and employees who invest alongside our clients. Our distinct culture empowers continuous learning and professional development.
WHAT’S THE OPPORTUNITY?
If you are seeking to provide a strategic voice at the executive table and a place to practice and evolve your trade with the opportunity for increased levels of responsibility, this new position is for you!
As the Director, Finance, you will be shaping the evolution of the Finance team, supported by substantial internal IT assets to assist in the development, improvement and automation of processes and workflows. Reporting to the SVP Finance and Compliance, you will develop and lead a multifaceted team of professionals and together will complete financial analysis, reporting, and investment transaction processing in support of the corporation, pooled funds, and separately managed client accounts. The Director, Finance will drive change to find new efficiencies and new ways to provide value-added services internally and externally to clients.
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
▪ Develop, lead, and mentor a strong performing team of finance and accounting professionals
▪ Develop new and efficient workflows and processes to assist in the continued growth of the firm
▪ Liaise and oversee third-party service providers such as the Investment Fund Administrator, external auditors, and tax advisors
▪ Oversee the reporting process of the third-party fund administrator to ensure the delivery of timely and accurate Net Asset Values and returns (daily), distributions (quarterly and annual) and other fund accounting outputs
▪ Streamline monthly and quarterly reporting requirements by leveraging technology to automate key processes
▪ Act as a subject matter expert for accounting-technology projects and transformation
▪ Oversee and manage the account reconciliation process
▪ Provide analysis in support of corporate management and Board reporting, including required regulatory reporting
▪ Review and oversee tax (trust and corporate) returns and tax slips, corporate and pooled fund financial statements, and other reports
▪ Perform accounting, fund income, commodity tax compliance, and reporting for investment vehicles in accordance with primarily domestic regulatory guidelines
▪ Comply with International Financial Reporting Standards, corporate accounting policies and internal controls
▪ Oversee and manage reporting to investors within regulatory timeframes
▪ Other duties as required
WHAT WILL YOU BRING?
▪ University degree in Accounting, Finance, or another related discipline
▪ Professional accounting designation (CA, CPA)
▪ A minimum of 8-10 years of progressive experience in investment management/financial services, with at least 3 years of mentoring team members
▪ Vocal and a robust ability to influence as a change agent (investigate, advocate, advise, encourage, and manage)
▪ A strong desire for documentation and automation
▪ Initiative to work independently when required with clear analytical, organizational and communication skills, while maintaining a passion for attention to detail
▪ Ability to analyze and communicate policies, ideas, procedures, and regulations effectively
▪ Keen capital markets knowledge considered an asset, including a good understanding of the investment management industry in Canada, reporting for pooled funds and exposure to securities legislation compliance requirements for investment funds
▪ Expert proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office products
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
▪ Competitive salary and performance bonus
▪ The ability to build and shape this new position!
▪ Flexible work environment
▪ Professional Development and growth opportunities
▪ Health Care Spending Account
▪ Paid vacation time
▪ Team building and employee appreciation events
▪ Gym membership
Applicants are asked to forward their resume to email@example.com. We thank all interested applicants, however, only those selected to advance in the hiring process and that are legally eligible to work in Canada will be contacted.
Hillsdale is an equal opportunity employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origins, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws. We encourage applications from people of all abilities and will make reasonable accommodations upon request.
Not sure if you qualify? Apply anyways! Our workforce comes from diverse backgrounds and industries.